Ohio
28 September 2017
Reporter: Jenna Lomax

RRGs continue to exhibit financial stability, says Powell


Risk retention groups (RRGs) collectively reported $1.9 billion of direct written premium through Q2, a decrease of nearly 1 percent over the same period the previous year, according to Demotech’s senior financial analyst Douglas Powell.

Powell’s quarterly report found that the direct premium written to policyholders’ surplus ratio for RRGs collectively through Q2 was 83.4 percent, while the net premium written stood at 48.6 percent.

Since Q2 the report revealed that cash and investment assets, total admitted assets and total liabilities all decreased.

Cash and invested assets decreased by 1.2 percent, total admitted assets by 1.9 percent and total liabilities by 3.1 percent, while policyholders’ surplus remained stable, showing an increase of 1 percent.

It also found, liquidity, as measured by liabilities to cash and invested assets, was 68.1 percent in the during the same period.

In the report, Powell said: “These reported results indicate that RRGs are adequately capitalised in aggregate and able to remain solvent if faced with adverse economic conditions or increased losses.”

When analysing the income statement, it showed the loss ratio for RRGs collectively, as measured by losses and loss adjustment expenses incurred to net premiums earned, through Q2 was 73.5 percent.

Powell concluded: “Despite political and economic uncertainty, RRGs remain financially stable and continue to provide specialised coverage to their insureds. The financial ratios calculated based on the reported results of RRGs appear to be reasonable, keeping in mind that it is typical and expected that insurers’ financial ratios tend to fluctuate over time.”

He added: ”The results of RRGs indicate that these specialty insurers continue to exhibit financial stability.”

More news
The latest news from Captive Insurance Times
Join Our Newsletter

Sign up today and never
miss the latest news or an issue again

Subscribe now
Hanover Stone appoint new risk advisors
15 December 2017 | New York | Reporter: Ned Holmes
Hanover Stone Partners (HSP) have appointed Michael Scott and Philip Stevens as senior risk advisors.
Clark disputes Avrahami verdict
15 December 2017 | Washington DC | Reporter: Ned Holmes
Celia Clark, the lawyer who formed the Avrahamis’ micro captive Feedback, has weighed in on the court's decision to deny the Avrahamis’ motion for reconsideration.
Cayman captive industry generated $100m in 2016
14 December 2017 | Grand Cayman | Reporter: Ned Holmes
The Cayman Islands captive insurance industry generated $100 million for the island’s economy in 2016, according to a recent economic impact survey.
BDA board gains new chair
14 December 2017 | Hamilton | Reporter: Ned Holmes
Paul Scope has been elected as the new chair of the Bermuda Business Development Agency (BDA) and Shelby Weldon has been appointed to the board of directors.
Ameriprise captive rated ‘excellent’, says A.M. Best
14 December 2017 | New Jersey | Reporter: Ned Holmes
Ameriprise Captive Insurance Company (ACIC) has received a financial strength rating of “A (Excellent)” and a long-term issuer credit rating of “a+” from A.M. Best.
PRIIA to help grow Puerto Rico as a captive domicile
13 December 2017 | San Juan | Reporter: Ned Holmes
The Puerto Rico International Insurance Association (PRIIA) will play an expanded role in helping to grow the country into a leading captive insurance domicile, according to PRIIA president Hugo Cordova.
Brit launches new Bermuda-based SPI
13 December 2017 | Bermuda | Reporter: Ned Holmes
Insurance and reinsurance group Brit has launched a new Bermuda-domiciled collateralised reinsurance platform, Sussex Capital.